We’re still engaged in war, though the numbers are astoundingly different: only 1% of our nation serves in the military. In the past decade, over 6,000 men and women who serve the other 99% of us have lost their lives. Tomorrow we honor their memory, their devotion, and their sacrifice. Taps—the haunting melody—will be played in every town and every cemetery where our heroes lie. And I will cry as I always do as I hear that mournful tune.
Today, more than 2 million Americans have served or are still serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Many, like me, come home confused and unsettled. They are diagnosed with post-traumatic stress.
The numbers are staggering—hundreds of thousands of young people looking for help to return to civilian life and lead a normal life. The help they now receive is extremely expensive and often ineffective: antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs, which cost $300–1,000 per month and will total some $15 billion dollars a year for the next 50–60 years.
We can do better
Operation Warrior Wellness provides the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique to veterans and their families—at less cost than a 3-month supply of drugs. TM is an effective means to overcome the anger, depression, and violent behavior caused by stress—and heal these hidden wounds of war.
For the past year I’ve travelled the country to rally support for Operation Warrior Wellness, speaking with veterans organizations, businesses and government, and the press. I frequently receive letters from veterans whose lives have been transformed by TM.
In honor of Veterans Day on 11/11/11, your donation of $11, $111, $1,111 or more will go directly to help a veteran or family member learn TM. DONATE
Thank you for your generous support,
Co-Chair, Operation Warrior Wellness
World War II fighter pilot