Helping to create
a healthier Indian country
A cycle of poverty and disease
Extreme poverty on reservations, alcoholism, family breakups, discrimination in non-reservation schools and the acute stresses of life for American Indians fuel a cycle of poverty, disease and despair:
- 70% of American Indians suffer from diabetes
- American Indian students have the highest dropout rates
—up to 50% don’t finish high school
- The second-leading cause of death among American Indian adolescents is
suicide—twice the national average
Our approach: simple, natural, effortless
The David Lynch Foundation offers the Transcendental Meditation program through both local and national American Indian organizations.
The innate appreciation for meditation among American Indian cultures makes the TM program a natural fit for promoting health and wellbeing on reservations. The TM technique can help prevent and reduce chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease and decrease dependence on alcohol and drugs. Preliminary data from ongoing research at several reservations as well as American Indian public schools shows:
- A significant decrease in diabetes
- Reduced stress & normalization
of blood pressure
- Improved mental health and
- 15% higher graduation rates
- Increased GPA and test scores—and a narrowing of the achievement gap
- Greater happiness, focus, creativity and self-confidence
About the Transcendental Meditation technique
Transcendental Meditation is a simple, natural mental technique that is easy to learn and to practice (for twenty minutes, twice daily). It does not involve any religion, philosophy, or change in lifestyle. The technique is taught only by certified instructors with extensive experience through a standardized course of instruction that ensures maximum results.
Support the Foundation's work with American Indians
American Indians are the true custodians of our land. Help share the healing and transformational benefits of Transcendental Meditation with American Indians who are suffering from alcoholism, diabetes and high suicide rates. Please donate today.